Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall at Maplewood State Park

I spent the morning yesterday getting reacquinted with Maplewood. It's been too many years since I've visited, but like an old friend, it was easy to catch up. I spent many weekends camping here and in other state parks around Minnesota when I was growing up. I may be biased, but if you are ever in my lovely state, please pay a visit to one of the many parks.

After some thought, I decided I'm going to make this a mostly visual tour. I will state right now that I missed the best days to view the fall colors here by a week or so. Add in the 50 mph winds we had for a few days and that leaves the trees pretty bare. I did find a few spots of gold and some other things of interest. With my macro setting I was able to capture these so I can share with you.


Maplewood State Park

I was trying for a friendlier, more direct self-portrait, but a month or so of very little sleep is starting to show on my face. This was taken after my mile-long hike up and down a steep hill. Not advised if you are already tired.

My canine companions...



Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park

To say the least, Jameson loved visiting the park. Angus did too, but he didn't feel the need to roll around in the grass every few feet.


Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park


My new friend. (No, I am not scared of bees. I live by the "if I don't bother them, they won't bother me philosophy". So far, no stings.)



Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park





Maplewood State Park

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos - they make me want to be there. I especially like the close up of the lichen on the bark. It's a fantastic color inspiration.

Sana Saroti said...

Beautiful pictures Katie! Thank you so much for the tour. I bet you had a great sleep after that tour ;-)

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Beautiful photos, especially the trees with bright coloured 'fall' leaves.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Gorgeous colors! Love it. We don't get so much of that in CA. :( Have always wanted to take a trip to see the fall colors in the east.

Cindy Sharp said...

Thanks for the beautiful reminder of what the change in seasons is like. I grew up in the northeast, but have lived in North Texas for over thirty years now. Seasons here are something less than spectacular.

Toni said...

Looks like a fun day trip! Your photos are awesome! I really like the ones of the sumac and the lichen. My husband and I are always talking about taking a trip to Minnesota. Looks like fall would be a great time to go!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! Thank you very much for sharing with us.
I lived in the states for many years and remember how beautiful it was in Fall. Your pictures brought back good memories. :)