Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Out with the Old, In with the New

Did you know there are less that 40 days left this year? I know everyone is focusing on Christmas projects, and I am too to a certain extent, but I also want to work on finishing the projects I have started by the end of the year.

I made up a list of the key things I want to focus on. I didn't want to overwhelm myself because then I would get nothing done. I'm also allowing myself to work on things not on this list if the fancy strikes me.

1. I signed up for the ornament swap that Lindsay at Lindsay Sews and Craft Buds is hosting. Our partners are not secret, so I won't go into detail here because I don't want to spoil the surprise. Thus far, I am in the planning stage and moving into the creating stage. I would like to finish this by the end of the month. The mailing date is by December 9th, but my partner gave an address at her university, so I would like to get it to her before the semester is over.

2. Also on board is a stocking to donate to the Stockings for Kids from Lyanna at Purple Panda Quilts. I had misplaced the fabric I was going to use and did find it over the weekend. Now I just need to put it together and get it in the mail. Mailing date is by December 1st. I'm going to use charms that were left from my Christmas mini I made over the summer.


Close Up Shot

3. Test block for the monthly challenge at Raccoon Creek Quilts. I know I've mentioned it before, but I really think Candi is putting together fun challenges each month. For November, it is to design a 12" block. I have sketches and measurements, so now I need to translate it into fabric.

4. Kaleidoscope quilt-a-long. Top only because the backing I have planned will make it reversible, if it works that is.


Two rows done

I do have to unpick some of this row because the points don't meet. I was going to just go with it, but it still bothers me.


Not quite there

5. Drunkard's Path quilt-a-long. Top only as well, mostly because I don't know what I'm doing with the back yet. I did get binding though. I'm still at the same point I was when I posted Monday.

6. Zig Zag quilt-a-long. Top only as well. I haven't even cut into my fabrics on this one. I'm pretty much not letting myself join anymore quilt-a-longs until I finish these three.

7. Market Tote at Clover and Violet. I haven't cut into these either or started the embroidery. Jennie just had her baby though, so she said things are delayed a bit. (Congrats!)

8. Halloween mini using Ghastlies. I could just put this off until next year, but knowing me, I will forget why I cut out the fabrics, or misplace them. It's best that I finish it and store the finished piece until next fall. This should be a quick finish since everything is cut.

9. Surprise mini that will tie in with a giveaway I will be doing in December to celebrate my birthday month. I do turn 30 afterall, so there is some need for a celebration! I will be finishing this hopefully this weekend and will reveal it before I post the giveaway.

10. Cowl to match my cabled hat and fingerless gloves. I did get yarn and should be bringing this with me when we travel on Thursday.


New Hat and Fingerless Gloves

11. Speaking of the hat, I tossed around sharing the pattern for free here, but decided to try selling it. I have to work on writing it out so it can be followed by someone who isn't familiar with it already and knit it up again using the rounded top variation. Then I will need a couple test knitters, so if you are interested in that, let me know.

12. To link with that, I think I have settled on a business name. I've been tossing out a few things in my head and letting them sit with me before keeping them around or rejecting them. I want something personal to me. At first I thought of Red River Fiber Studio, but if we move from here, then it doesn't apply much. Next came Wanderlust Studio, which is still a possibility. The front runner is Terrier Landing Fiber Studio named in part from Jameson and Angus. I sketched a logo as well and before the end of the year want to have this finalized.

Want to join me? Let's give each other support on finishing the old so we can start the new year with fresh work areas and ideas! I'll be updating this every week and linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

5 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

WOW! That's a long list, Katie. Good on you for deciding to sell your knitting pattern. Good luck with getting it all together.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

You've got lots to do. I would join you but I don't really have much WIP. Good Luck with it all! I love your kaleidoscope quilt btw :)

Sana Saroti said...

That is a LONG list. Good luck with everything. And hooray for birthday girls in December!!! I turned 30 last December ;-) Didn't hurt!

Kristin said...

Oh how lovely is your Kaleidoscope quilt, good work!

rubyslipperz1052 said...

a quilter AND a knitter...COOL!!
All the projects are great...my fav is the 12" circle in the square/bordered. =)

hugZ,
annie m.
anniesrubyslipperz.com
iplaywithfiber.blogspot