Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Festival of HSTs: Chase Patterns

I decided to submit my art quilt, Chase Patterns, to the Festival of Half Square Triangles. For those of you who read my blog, you may remember this from when I posted it in March. If you are new here, first of all, welcome!, and please click on the link to read detailed information on my process and inspiration.


I made this quilt as part of the Project Quilting challenges at Kim's Crafty Apple. The challenge was to think of a new take on the classic zig zag pattern.

Project Quilting Challenge: Zig Zag

My inspiration came from two things: first the manner an animal of prey moves to get away from their predator, and also how my two dogs chase each other while they play. The patterns of chase turn into an erratic zig zag.

Project Quilting Challenge: Zig Zag

I played around with the formation of this quilt to create various zig zags throughout. The fabrics used are all Oakshotts on the front, and it is backed and bound in a gray Kona. For quilting, I simply made straight lines across in order to not detract from the colorful patterns created.

Thank you for taking the time to check out my work! Feel free to leave a critique of this piece (both good and constructive) as I am aiming to create art with my quilting and sewing. I would love to hear all opinions on it.

4 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Wonderful quilt and so colorful!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Great colours and layout, Katie!

Sana Saroti said...

You know that I love it!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These solids look fab and I think this layout is great - I keep seeing different patterns in the zig zags.