Thursday, April 18, 2013

WIP Wednesday and a UFO Plan

I realized it's been a few weeks since I posted about my WIPs. I only have a couple to share as the other things I've been working on are finished. However, it is still snowing here so FO photos are going to be delayed.

I've made a little progress on my Woodland Sampler.

April WIP

My most exciting WIP is this sock. It's my first ever and was easier than I thought it would be. Just a lesson in following the pattern and working each stitch as I come to them. I'm taking a hiatis from casting on the second sock to finish up a couple other things but should have it done by the end of the month.

One Finished Sock

Over this upcoming weekend my goal is to catalog all of my UFOs (WIPs are included). Judy of Patchwork Times is hosting a UFO Parade through the end of the year. It's a goal of mine (and many others it seems) to cut down on the number of projects in limbo. I've been setting rules for myself, like having to finish two projects in order to start a new one. That hasn't worked longer than the first finish.

So I've been wondering to myself why I don't finish everything I start. And how can I change that? I spent some time at the end of last year throwing some UFOs into my scrap bin for use in other projects. With those fabric based projects, it was simply that I fell out of love with the idea. It was easy to move on. The ones I have more trouble with is my knitting projects. I still love all of the unfinished projects. I just only have the two hands so I can only work on one at a time.

All of this boils down to my ideas. When I am on a roll with ideas, it just spurts out, usually to the point of being out of control. I also think I have more time to do things than I actually do, so there is that factor of not taking into account reality. I desperately need a plan. Some way to have my cake and eat it too. My life is full with work, Chad, friends, my dogs, taking care of a home, and the other activities I enjoy outside of creating with fabric and yarn. Sometimes there is a lack of balance.

While I don't have a complete plan, I know I need to focus, find balance, and follow through. An ambitious goal would be to end 2013 with no unfinished projects. I'm not sticking to that (yet). We'll see once I list all of those lingering items.

How about you? Do you have a plan to finish your UFOs? Or, do you not have any at all? (If so, please share your tips for keeping them under control.)

3 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

I hear ya. I don't have much of a plan...but I do try to finish more than I start.

Judy D in AZ said...

Remarkable first sock-especially since it has a decorative pattern to it.

Don't let that that poor sock hang out alone for long.

Julianne said...

I don't have much of a plan...my plan is ..Just do it..My projects make me happy..So I am going to just work on them as I can..